THE WARDROBE FILES
It’s the perfect time to do a Wardrobe File with winter creeping closer. I needed to do a wardrobe recky to see what was missing, what was winning and what wasn’t fitting. One thing I did discover was that my daughter uses her winter boots as a storage system for, well, anything. Just lovely. This post is about a couple of fundamental tips that can carry a piece from one season to the next, only if your interested of course. xx
1. This is isn’t for everybody but I tend to buy most of my children’s clothing at least two sizes bigger. This doesn’t work for everything but a great piece can look very different and equally amazing as your child grows. Having beautiful crafted garments for one season is soul destroying. I can justify investing in quality pieces like these if I can see them though through a year or two minimum.
2. Taking summer styles and layering for winter is a MUST. Getting milage across all seasons just makes sense. Also for the in between months were the weather changes as often as my sons nappies it’s great to be able to add and deduct. In this picture I have layered a light peasant blouse with a long sleeve henley and added a tutu with boots. If Sugar was wearing this and it was cool I would add tights, a knitted vest etc.
3. Especially for winter where heavier and more constructed pieces cost more go for a unisex option if you have a boy and a girl or looking to have another. It’s really beautiful to see the same piece get reworked on another little personality. I have layered this chunky knit with light summer linens and voile’s as it serve’s more like a coat being a few sizes too big. I purchased this for my daughter from the boys items when she was two. She will wear it till she is probably five and then pass it on to her brother.
4. Another great tip for reworking what you already have is to use clothing as accessories. I grabbed one of Captain’s flannels from Kmart and wrapped it as a scarf for Sugar. The arms and the warmth make it really practical worn like this.
5. The embroidered smock worn as a top with this outfit was once a dress. Im still getting great use and joy from this precious piece as it takes on new life.
6. The overall. One of my favourite things in the whole world. These were worn in summer rolled up and without a shirt. As things get cooler I will add tights, shirts and knits underneath. Again purchased two sizes too big this will carry through many seasons. Last stop on the road will be a pair of scissors cutting them into shorts.
I really hope someone got something useful from this. Let me know if you did and if you didn’t shhhhhh…..